Our lesson in Relief Society was titled "Work and Personal Responsibility." We had a lively discussion about the principals, responsibilites and blessings of work. This made me appreciate my childhood and how my parents taught me to work. By some standards I was spoiled as an only child, but on the other hand, I learned how to work and work hard.
I wish I had a video of me washing windshields in our gas station in Hatch about 1958, or one of me clerking in our grocery store and stocking shelves. I wish I had a dollar for all the dishes I washed in our cafe or for the beds I made in our motel.
When I was about 10, my mom finally let me wait on tables in the cafe. I wanted to have a uniform like the big-girl waitresses. I bought some white satin (can you imagine for a uniform??), at the SUE (Southern Utah Equitable) in Panguitch and Marcie Dutton found a pattern and sewed for me. Was I so proud in my shiny outfit and apron? I served and did a pretty fine job and made good little tips. (It was better than the $.25 a dozen I got for selling nightcrawlers to fishermen, or money I made cleaning fish for tourists in our motel!) Can't imagine what the people really thought, but I thought I was neat. Now, when I go into a business and a young person waits on me, it makes my heart smile.
My folks were really awesome (if I had only known then). They even had my name on the business card. They made me feel like it was my business too and that I was part of everything. It's good for a kid's psyche. Best of all, I really learned how to be sociable, talk to people, serve people. I learned that the "customer is always right," and if we were friendly and treated people fairly and well, they would come back and do business with us again.
In the wintertime when our business was closed, I would help Dad with repair projects like painting or laying new linolium. I'm sure he humored me, but he taught me how to use a hammer, make a plumb line, cut-in a sharp paint line on a baseboard, cut with a mitre saw and more. How many girls get that? Oh, so many more things.
And Mom taught me to cook, do laundry, clean house and believe you me, it had to be done right. "A job worth doing is worth doing well." "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have time to do it again? "Work before play." Wish more kids were raised that way today.
Most of the time I loved working and got lots of satisfaction out of completing a job. I had a little phonograph and 45 rpm records. One was "Whistle While You Work," from Snow White. Believe it or not, I whistled while I worked! And I still think of that sometimes when I work now... "Whistle while you work, Tra-la-la-la-la-la-la!"
3 comments:
Diana, I check out Robin and Janene through your blog - I know you said you weren't doing your blog right now, but I enjoyed your entry about work from yesterday. .
I heard Robin was released - did your ward get a new bishopric ? WHO ? Are you working in school lunch again this year ?
Yes, our Bishopric was released two weeks ago. It was bittersweet for him. I think he's is sad to be released, but with the health problems, he may need a little rest. Now tell me who you are??
Our new Bishop is Robert McKenna, with Byron Jesperson as 1st Counselor and Jared Gardner as 2nd. I'm not working for the School District Lunch program any more, but teach nutrition in the Food Sense Programs for USU Extension Service.
Post a Comment