Sunday, August 17, 2014

I'll Never Catch Up

Such a fun and busy summer! So many things going on and I'm so very far behind in documenting and blogging.
I have had so much fun with Drew and C.J. this summer. We have done quite a few fun things, but now school will be starting and Drew won't be coming on a regular basis. I'm so glad these cousins got to play together and get to know each other better.
 One Friday we went to Kangaroo Zoo in North Salt Lake. The kids really had fun
and C.J. ran the whole time! He has so much energy it exhausts me!
The next Friday we just had a fun Hot Tub day, running through the
sprinklers and a picnic in the yard.

Garden Producing This Year

The garden has finally started coming on like gangbusters. Cucumbers and green peppers are the stars this year. I always try to grow peppers and they are always small and few. This year, I started them from heirloom seeds and they are huge and prolific! I'm so happy. I'm learning how to collect the seeds so I can plant them again next year. One cucumber plant is growing 12-15 inch cukes and they are running out of my ears! I have been giving lots of produce away, and that makes me happy. I also put in a strawberry patch this year. The fruits aren't large, but fun for smoothies and putting on my cereal.



This year we have most of the standards... tomatoes (also started from heirloom seeds), cukes and peppers, including Anaheim, as mentioned, onions, zucchini and yellow crook-neck squash, green beans, Swiss chard, Hubbard squash, pumpkins, and watermelons. The watermelons didn't work well... there are four tiny ones. But despite my skepticism, the pumpkins and Hubbards did grow even though they are up against the fence and don't get as much sun as they should. It's too small an area as well. I grew basil, cilantro and cherry tomatoes in pots.

We have also been trying to reclaim a couple of areas in our yard where the soil has been depleted and they were eyesores. So I'm trying this "Lasagna Composting" method to see if it works.
I put down green grass clippings, then covered them with sheets of cardboard.
After the cardboard comes a layer of newspaper.
Then 3-4 inches of good compost on top.
 It looks good, anyway...
we'll see what happens. 
Now I just need to keep adding more layers and get it 6-8 inches deep.
We'll leave it until next spring and then see what we can grow!

No comments: