Wedding Ring


The mystery comes in trying to determine if the quilts were made by the Smith side, the Harrison side, both sides or other configuration? Such as pieced by family members and quilted by others. The chances are very high, some or all of them were made near Flemington, Missouri - the birthplace of my father. The Smiths and Harrisons lived across the road from each other when my grandparents were married in 1911.
Texas Star
I originally thought the Wedding Ring and Texas Star may have been wedding gifts, but I'm learning the patterns were most popular in the 20's and 30's. My grandparents were in Iowa by then, so were they made there and by whom?
Pickle Dish

I'm so glad my cousin Melissa was able to discover the name of this quilt. It's also called Indian Wedding Ring and perhaps Sweetwater. There are pieces of the tangerine material in this quilt seen in the traditional Wedding Ring.
What I call "Shooting Star"


The real fun came in discovering that my four second cousins on the Smith side of the family have quilts made and given to them by their Grandmother Margaret, my Grandmother's sister. The quilt of mine which I call "Shooting Star," is an appliqued pattern with embroidery. My cousins Melissa, Kathy, Jenny and Sue have sunbonnet type patterns and animal motifs. We think these quilts were made in the 50's and the patterns were possibly ordered from a mail order company called Herrschners. Look at the similarities, especially the pink strips and backing. This is a mystery to me, as my grandmother died in 1934, long before my cousins received their quilts.
Sunbonnet




The real fun came in discovering that my four second cousins on the Smith side of the family have quilts made and given to them by their Grandmother Margaret, my Grandmother's sister. The quilt of mine which I call "Shooting Star," is an appliqued pattern with embroidery. My cousins Melissa, Kathy, Jenny and Sue have sunbonnet type patterns and animal motifs. We think these quilts were made in the 50's and the patterns were possibly ordered from a mail order company called Herrschners. Look at the similarities, especially the pink strips and backing. This is a mystery to me, as my grandmother died in 1934, long before my cousins received their quilts.
Sunbonnet
Cousin Jenny's quilt is the Sunbonnet motif. She lives in Kansas City.
Well, I may never know exactly who made my quilts or where they came from, but I've had lots of fun exploring the possibilities. I'm just blessed to have these masterpieces of folk art in my life. I love and cherish them; they give me a great connection to my ancestors.


2 comments:
What treasures. Thanks for sharing. If I hadn't discovered knitting, maybe I'd be quilting some heirlooms. Oh, well. One can't do it all....
Hi, Diana--I just looked at your blog, which I had not done for awhile, and discovered your nice tribute to your father, and then the quilt one--I will be mailing the quilt photos to you today!
Cousin Melissa
Post a Comment