Monday, February 2, 2009

One Year Anniversary...

...on the job. Last February 1st I began working part-time in the office of Dr. Scott Erickson. I hadn't worked outside the home for 10-12 years and I was so worried no one would hire me. I saw a little ad and sent a resume, got an interview and got the job for medical receptionist. It was a perfect fit! We have small staff, just five of us. I job share with Dr. Erickson's mom and really have enjoyed my employment there. Dr. E. has a family practice, but he has a specialty in Substance Abuse and Addiction Recovery. Probably half our patients are people who have become addicted to either pain killers or illegal drugs. Seeing what these terrible substances to to people's lives is sad and depressing sometimes, but also rewarding to see successes and knowing we are trying to help them recover.

On staff is "Big Dave" who is a licensed substance abuse counselor who also works with our patients. LeighAnne is the nurse. She's great and has taught me so much. On and off I get to play nurse and work in the back office. I don't even want to say it was 1974 when I got my MA. Some on-hand things you don't forget, but so much of my medical brain cells are long gone. But I'm getting a little back. I feel really blessed, especially in this economy to have a job and a nice environment and people to work with.

These past 20 years I have continued to do my graphic arts business, but I stopped pursuing new accounts a few years ago. I still enjoy brokering printing and producing the Centerville City newsletter and a few other accounts I have.

No comments: