Saturday, March 6, 2010

Catching up a bit...

I haven't been keeping up with blogging... like most things, I'm a day late and a dollar short.

When Marc got home from his two week vacation in California, we had a little celebration with a three layered chocolate cake. He had so much fun in the sunny prune-picker state, he wasn't very excited to come home to cold and snow again. But longer, warmer days are sure to make us all feel better. (John, what's with the cheezy smile?) Tonight we went with Marc to see the movie "Old Dogs," at the dollar theater. It was pretty funny and we had a good time.

And then yesterday was our daughter-in-law Lisa's 40th birthday. She is the glue that pulls all of us together and we really appreciate her. She always has the biggest, cutest smile and her true joy in life is being a wife to Mitch and mommy to three of our darling grandchildren. Lisa has great friends that she loves to hang with when she can and she is secretly (well, not so secretly), a Twilight junky. She works diligently as a member of her Stake Primary Presidency and also on the PTA Board at the kids' school... making lots of yummy luncheons for the teachers. Even though she doesn't get a chance to work very often, she is a licensed insurance agent and from time to time gets to fill in at a State Farm Office here in Bountiful. Anyway, I just want to wish her a belated blog Happy Birthday and many blessings for the next year. We love her so much an appreciate all she does for our family. The photos show Lisa with Fisher, Bailey and Chason at the Happiest Place on Earth - one of the many family fun times she and Mitch love to share with their children.

John and I attended the funeral today of a friend and former ward member, Tom Ure. Funerals really have a way of making you take stock of your standing with your fellowmen, your family and your God. I seem to always come up short, but always feel inspired to try harder and be better when I see and hear tributes like we did today. We have known Judy and Tom for 20 years and just a few years ago they suffered the unspeakable sorrow of losing their twin son Justin. Justin and Jenny were the same age as our Ben, and little Jenny was my favorite babysitter for Zach. Now Judy is here on this side of the veil, and her sweetheart Tom is on the other with Justy. I know her love, her faith and her family and friends will support and sustain her, but oh, the road looms long and lonely ahead. Judy will forever be a YW camping comrade. We with other special ladies in the 3rd Ward loved serving together many years ago. Now our Young Women are grown with families of their own. But those days are sweet and precious in my memory.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes. I love you too.
I am so sorry about your friend Tom and all that Judy has to face.
love you