I feel like I have to pay a little more tribute to my great high school class. One of our teachers and class advisers, Clark Hafen, coined a statement sometime during our Senior year, "When comes such a class again." We did have an outstanding class at Dixie High School in St. George --- in academics, the arts and athletics. We took State in football and golf, and were Consolation Champs in basketball. I had my fingers in lots of pies those years, and if the truth were known, really ran around like a chicken with my head cut off. What was I thinking? I was the Spanish Club President and we earned enough money to take over 40 students and advisers to Ensenada that year. I marched with the drill team (Jetettes), and was the lead in "Annie Get Your Gun," as well as roles in our winning Competitive Assembly and other productions. I went to Girls' State and did a pretty good job with grades. I dated my crazy head off, like there was no tomorrow. I messed around with another half dozen clubs and organizations too, earning my "Diamond D" award and a Drama scholarship to Dixie College. I know this sounds like a brag fest, but my point is it just about did me in. The spring of '68, I had what they would call a little nervous break down. They didn't have terms like "anxiety attacks or panic attacks" back then, but that's what I had. I broke out in hives all up and down my legs, my torso and arms. I was quite ill, just trying to juggle all the things I got myself in to. Finally, Dr. Staheli had to give me a mild sedative and I had to take a few day's rest before the Jetette Review. But, I survived.
What is amazing, is what I was doing was not so different than most of my friends. They were all so involved and juggling many different activities.I started this post ages ago and can't remember what I was going to say, but think I'll post this anyway! (June '14)
What is amazing, is what I was doing was not so different than most of my friends. They were all so involved and juggling many different activities.I started this post ages ago and can't remember what I was going to say, but think I'll post this anyway! (June '14)
No comments:
Post a Comment