Saturday, November 22, 2008

Remembering JFK

When I was 13, President Kennedy was assassinated on November 22nd, and I have never forgotten that day. I guess I was at a very impressionable age and the horrible event affected me deeply. I didn't know much about politics in 1963, but it certainly rocked my world - could this happen in America? Respect for the presidency still seemed to mean something in those days and the shock rippled across the nation and the world. Everyone mourned; I was incensed such evil could happen. Those images from the motorcade and subsequently of First Lady Jacqueline and the Kennedy children during the following days are indelibly etched in my mind. I sat down a day or two later and wrote a long poem in the President's honor. I look back and it seems it was one of those moments when you feel you were looking through a small window on history.

3 comments:

Jillyn said...

Yep, I remember. I was in Mrs. Ence's English class. I think you should post the poem you wrote. Thanks again for letting me come for some R & R in Park City. It was great.

Mother Teresa said...

Hi Di, this is something I also remember clearly. I was in 6th grade I think; JFK fascinated me and I still have all the newspaper pictures and stories of him and his family. Little Jon Jon broke my heart when they showed him saluting his daddy's casket, it all seemed so unreal.
Your grandchildren are beautiful, it's fun to see Camille all grown up and happy. BTW, Aaron -formerly known as A.J., received his mission call Thursday. He leaves for Anchorage Alaska Feb. 25th.

PhillipsClan said...

Janene and I were talking about this just then other day. (the 22nd). President Kennedy was the first president I can remember and the only one I ever actually met. My brother and I heard that he was coming to Salt Lake and he was going to meet President McKay at the Hotel Utah. We rode our bikes down and each of us climbed up on the cast iron framework of the covered entrance to the hotel. When President Kennedy came through, we hung our arms down like monkeys and shook his hand. You would probably go to prison for doing something like that now.