Friday, November 28, 2008

Truly Thankful

Yesterday was our not-at-home-Thanksgiving celebration. Each year a community effort in Salt Lake City sponsors a dinner for the homeless and less fortunate at the Greek Orthodox Holy Trinity Church, and we have been volunteering about every other year for about 12 years. It's sort of hard not having the traditional turkey dinner at our house, but now I would really miss this opportunity. I think we feed about 1,000 yesterday, which is about average. The hall looks nice before they open the doors and the rush comes in.

Then the fun begins! There were SOOOoooo many volunteers this year! All the volunteers wear blue aprons and the area supervisors wear white. Wednesday night we went with a group of about 10 young adults and helped sort, fold and categorize all the good-will clothing. So besides dinner, folks and families can load up on clothing, hygiene kits, socks, mittens, hats, shoes. The tempo is frenetic for awhile, but everything is worthwhile when you see how grateful people are for the basics we take for granted. The dining hall is bulging while the clothing on the right side of the hall is a hornet's nest. I think people are most grateful for the coats. John and I were the coordinators for the clothing this year.

I'm grateful I've always had a coat and shoes and a warm bed to sleep at night. There has always been food in my stomach and a friend or loved one nearby to comfort and cheer. How extremely blessed I am! It's not fair that I should have so much and others are sleeping outside in the cold. Thank you Lord, thank you.

2 comments:

PhillipsClan said...

I might have known you two would be involved in something like this. Good job, both of you

Jillyn said...

This is impressive.