Saturday, May 23, 2009

Timmmmm-ber!

For several years we have been debating whether to take out the major shade tree in our back yard. It really makes the yard and deck cooler from the hot west summer sun...BUT, it shades our garden plot and things don't grow very well. We finally decided it had to go if we were serious about our garden, and we are.
It costs so much to have a tree-removal service so the guys just decided to fell the tree. First John got up to take off some of the smaller branches, but I was screaming at him, afraid I'd have him falling out and breaking something. "I'm not taking you to the hospital if you fall," I yelled! So Zach took over. Ben had been working all day sanding the lower deck, so he and John began cutting up the fallen limbs. LOTS OF WORK!

It was fun seeing my guys out there working and laughing together. Ben and Zach were reminiscing how small that Honey Locust was in their childhood... how they climbed and sat in it. Even I used to go out and sit on the lower branch of the main trunk just for fun. Those were the days of sleep-outs on the trampoline and water fights and practicing soccer moves and backyard picnics. Where did the years, 20 years, go?

On Saturday, Dad, Ben and our grandson Jesse got up and went fishing to East Canyon Reservoir at 4:30 a.m. They had a great time, but only caught two fish. I'm sure glad Jesse caught the first one! They were home before 11:00 a.m., and continued working on the tree project and hauling it to the green dump.

Jesse helped so much and I really enjoyed letting him drive to his house when we were done. He will be 16 in August and has his learner's permit. I'm so impressed with that kid... yeah, a chip off the old block! Ha! Ha! He is working part time in a veterinary office and getting a 4.0 the last couple of quarters during his Sophomore year. He's taking an online Algebra course and this summer, another math class to be prepared for pre-Calculus and Physics next year. Jesse plays the guitar and writes music too... now I know he really has my genes! Love you so much Jess-man. You are totally awesome. Thanks for all your help!

1 comment:

Sunflower Mama said...

Brave Boys! Glad they're not hurt! I can't believe you cut it down! I want a huge shade tree in our backyard! But I also want a garden.....