Monday, May 25, 2009

In Memory

Memorial Day is primarily for remembering veterans and fallen heroes who gave their life in defense of our country and freedoms. I grew up being proud my father served in the Navy during WWII, and so thankful he was a lucky one who got to come home.

It's also a time for remembering our family and friends who have "crossed the bar." I can't visit the gravesites of my family as we live far away, but I do think of loved ones and ancestors and how they have influenced my life. I was blessed to be born of goodly parents and feel a kinship to my progenitors, even the ones I did not know nor ever met.

A couple of months ago I was contacted by a third (or maybe second cousin once removed), cousin who is close to publishing a Melton Family History - primarily the decendants of John B. and Roseana Cook Melton, my great great grandparents (my paternal grandfather's maternal grandparents). Did ya get that?? I was asked to contribute any information, stories and photos which I have on my line of the family. So I have been busy compiling histories of my great grandmother IsaDora Escalona Melton Harrison and her decendants. Although time-consuming and tedious at times, I love family history and geneology.

Great Grandpa Lafayette "Lafe" and Grandma IsaDora Escalona Melton "Dora" Harrison
Married on July 21, 1892 in Mountain Grove, Missouri

The children of Lafe and Dora were my grandfather Melton Osmer Harrison (left), and his siblings John Alexander, Clyde Bertram and Daisy Merle Harrison. Photo taken about 1911.

Happy Memorial Day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Diana and Guys,

I've lost your email address so I thought I'd try to contact you this way. I loved seeing your pictures of the tree removal. We have a new computer and we're trying to learn about all this new stuff. Brett and Nicole had a new baby girl - she was born on April 15 - her name is Claire Elise Murry - Baby Claire - my kids gave me a ticket to Austin for a Mother's Day gift - I'm leaving Wednesday the 27th. Shauna's twins turned 2 last week - they are so cute but keep everyone hopping. Our garden is growing - much better than the pine tree environment in Bountiful - I miss you being our neighbor - I miss your beautiful garden and yard and you. Just wanted to say Hi and share our good news. Carlene
new email is carlenemurry@gmail.com

Jillyn said...

I do enjoy checking in with you. Wish I were there to do it in person. I'm impressed with your zest for geneology. Wish I had the ambition. I do love learning about my ancestors though but haven't done near the research you have. Keep up the good work. Love ya.