Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rogers Reunion

This, past weekend John and I drove 600 miles south to the small northern Arizona town of Joseph City to attend the annual George T. Rogers Reunion. Hey, we're cheap, so we did the whole trip in 10 1/2 hours (one less night motel fare). You know, Utah is a beautiful state! I love traveling down Highway 89 - we went through my home town of Hatch. Equally beautiful are the deserts of southern Utah and Arizona. On the trip home we stopped and took a tour to the bottom of the Glen Canyon Dam. Awesome. Every time you see the Grand Canyon/Grand Staircase/Marble Canyon area in different light, you get a new perspective.






Wild Firecracker Penstemmon along I-15









We visited the grounds of the small Snowflake LDS Temple.




John in front of his grandfather's ancestral home in Joseph City, Arizona. Joseph City is about 90 miles east of Flagstaff, between Winslow and Holbrook.









Me with our darling niece Jenny who is living in Winslow.






John with his Uncles Clem and Lynn, and cousin Orson.




It's good to be back home to tend the garden and pull weeds. Ha!


3 comments:

PhillipsClan said...

It looks to me like John's grandfather should have planted a lawn. No, kidding aside, I think its great that you guys can do that and have that connection to family. That is a beautiful area. I remember the family reunions we used to have in Midway, Utah. Even though I hardly knew who anyone was, it was great to hear the Utah Scots play the pipes and swim in the hot pots.

PhillipsClan said...

Sounds like a great trip. We need to do something like that, only we are all too lazy to put together a family reunion. Looks like John comes from a line of long, lean cowboy types. I enjoy your blog.
Janene

Jillyn said...

Sounds fun. I love reunions. Can't wait to visit with you again.