Monday, April 5, 2010

Behold the Lamb of God

I recently finished "Hallelujah- The Story of the Coming Forth of Handel's Messiah," a historical novel by J. Scott Featherstone. I really enjoyed this book, although the descriptive narratives are a bit tedious and lengthy at times. It is well written and the biographical sketch is accurate.

Woven into the miracle of writing the oratorio "Messiah" in a mere 24 days, is a tender love story and also the transformation of a street urchin by the profound impact of Handel's inspired music and the Light of Christ. The musical journey also changed Handel forever as he experienced the Spirit of God.

I have sung the Messiah numerous times in several different choirs over the years and I never tire of the music or the message. I think I will appreciate this most noble work even more now. I most recently sang this past December with a new choir I have joined "Utah Voices." I feel very privileged to be under the direction of Dr. Michael Huff and Kelly DeHaan. I am learning so much and it's great being a part of such a distinguished organization.

In light of the Easter season we have just celebrated, I want to share one of my favorite passages from the book. It's lengthy, but embodies the message of Easter and the Good News of the Gospel of Christ.

"He (Handel), painfully arrived at that pivotal moment of humble reflection when one's life of good or evil stares back from the mirror of memory. A life of good is its own reward. It pays back a hundred times over, just as bread cast on the water washes back in waves upon the sand. A life of selfishness it its own punishment. There are many courses that lead to despair, but only one path leading up and out; God is the author. It is on that path that the finest and purest of efforts begin. If one is to accomplish a great feat, it must come with great sacrifice. The holier and more righteous the endeavor, the more sacrifice God will require. He will purify the outcome by purifying the doer of the deed. That is how God's plan works. He will not intercede to correct the mistakes of men, thus robbing them of agency; He will correct men until they give Him their agency. He will try them in order to let His will and mind distill upon them. He will chastise their peace, wrench their heart, wring out their soul, until their eyes meet with His."

"One who lives in a bright room will hardly notice changes in the light. One who has walked in blackness will see the tiniest flickering candle in the distance."

I recommend reading "Hallelujah."

No comments: