Zack was named after my grandfather Zachariah Jonathan Berch, and as it was pointed out in the memorial, there are probably 15 or so descendants who bear my grandfather's name.The last time I saw my cousin was at my Aunt Darlene's 90th birthday celebration two years ago. This photo shows him with his sisters Roxanne and Sharon and mother Doris.
I didn't know my cousin Zack well, because I moved away from California when I was young and after that did not have much contact. That's one of the reasons I wanted to go and be with family and attend the services - so I could learn who my cousin was, and what his life was about. He was a wonderful man, a terrific sportsman, a hard worker and a loving husband, son, brother, uncle, father and grandfather. He will be missed by all those who knew and loved him.

I learned what a devoted husband he was to his wife Sandy. He didn't marry until he was about 40 years old, but Sandy was the love of his life. He became a step-father to her children and a loving "Papa" to the grandchildren. His family was number one. But right up there was the great ball player, coach and mentor he was to so many. He loved and played baseball all his life - from little league (where Uncle Norm called him "Scamp), to Long Beach State, to numerous teams in the Riverside/San Bernardino area. He was a Pittsburg Steelers and Southern Cal fan, big time. He loved playing the game "Over the Line," and drinking "Mojitos." (Whatever that is!?) Zack owned and operated a very successful silk screening shop.

I sure enjoyed seening my three living aunts and a goodly number of my cousins. Aunt Darlene is 92, Aunt Doris is 87, and Aunt Lee Lee is about 80. Here they are with my cousin Sharon and cousin Colleen.
I flew home the very next day and did not get a chance to visit with some of my family as much as I would like, but I loved every minute I was able to spend with them.

1 comment:
I'm glad you got to have this experience. It was good talking to you briefly. I need to get up there soon. I'll get the wedding over and be a free woman. I'm not even working this summer so it's me and the road. Love ya.
Post a Comment