Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Baby Birds

A couple of months ago I noticed what looked like some grass or straw caught in a web on top of one of our outdoor lights. When I looked more closely, I saw it was the beginning of a bird's nest. My impulse was to knock it down, but John said to leave it. So later we saw eggs and now we have five baby birds. They are really big for a little nest. But with all the cold weather we've been having, they huddle together and the light probably provides a little warmth, at least part of the night.

My photos didn't turn out well, but one can see where the nest is, and in the other, four little pair of dark eyes in the other. I don't know what kind of birdies they are - probably wrens or such. I'm just afraid they will fall out of the nest down to the cement. Then our cat or the neighbor's will eat them for lunch!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Hey - we just found a nest sitting on top of our patio heater! It's too high up to see what is in it, but we don't hear any peeping.

Karen said...

Janice had one just outside her front door to and we got to watch the whole process. It was fun. The kids loved to come and see how the babies were doing. Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks!

Jillyn said...

I enjoyed all the birds in Pine Valley today. I haven't got the hummingbird food out yet and no nests that I could see but summer's just around the corner. E-mail me real soon.