Sunday, April 5, 2009

One More Visit to Texas

I am still having so many memories of my visit to Texas and reunion with some of my friends, that I want to post a few more photos. I know for those who might visit this blog it may be tiresome, but as I print my blog for a journal, I want to include a few more thoughts.

I wanted to mention I enjoyed visiting the LBJ Presidential Library. I wasn't very politically aware when Lyndon Johnson became president after the assassination of John F. Kennedy, but there were those who were not too fond of him. I must say I could have spent many hours looking at the history and memorabilia from the years of his tenure in office.



At left is a painting depicting the mourning of Jacqueline Kennedy and her children over the coffin of President Kennedy.








And at right the beginning of the presidency of Johnson.













Here is one of the paintings of Lady Bird Johnson and the famous Blue Bonnets of Texas.


I guess one of the things that struck me most was being reminded it was during the Johnson administration that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as well as the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was passed. It's amazing those basic human rights were not granted until I was in high school. I can hardly conceive of our country operating under different values. I'm glad I lived during this part of that history.

I was born in 1950, but the sixties were the years of my "coming of age" when many values and characteristics were formed. How blessed I am that my parents moved our family to Utah and I was privileged to be surrounded by so many wonderful people who were influential and exemplarary in my life.








We gals had to have our photo taken by this sign which read "Images of the Sixties."






Another of the fun activites we shared was shopping We shopped the first day on the way to Kathy's house from the airport... and low and behold, Janet, Jillyn and Carol Ann all found the same jacket!

On the Saturday we were in Austin, we traveled to a little town called Salado. It was full of eclectic shops and eating establishments. We spent all afternoon finding quaint places and unique trinkets to buy. We ate lunch in the Stagecoach Inn, which is an original stage stop of the old west.




Lastly, we did enjoy our eating immensely! Kathy cooked for us and made great recipes that we all wanted to share. We also ate out a few times. One place was called??? It was a small house that uses the best and freshest ingredients. In fact, they grow much of their produce right behind the cafe. We enjoyed walking through the garden and seeing the fresh vegetables and herbs growing. Since we are all habitually on a "diet," we had fun sharing one dessert among six.


I have a ton more photos and memories, but I guess this is too much for a blog. So suffice it to say, I had a great vacation and am ready to have a "do-over!"

2 comments:

Jillyn said...

Thanks. This is a great blog entry I think I'll print it for my journal. It really was a fun time, wasn't it? We'll do it again soon, I hope. Oh, and Happy Anniversary.

xomom said...

Loved the memories you shared. We did have fun! And we did eat some wonderful food! I'm ready for a
do-over anytime....